We discuss the aftermath of last week’s iPhone and Apple Watch announcements. Baz and Dave discuss what phones they will buy. Thomas updates his phone to iOS 10 live on air, and then starts to fret as he is told that the update is bricking lots of phones. Baz gets enthusiastic about the new features in Messages. An idea about Twitch for Spreadsheets leads on to a discussion about Excel wizardry, and programming tools for non-programmers. What Irish phone carrier should you choose? Baz and Dave’s first iPhone app is banished from the App Store. We discuss App Store economics, the shutdown of Vesper, the transition of Overcast to an ad-supported model and David Smith’s analysis of different app store models. A map, a REPL and a meetup makes us happy.
- iPhone 7 reviews: Ars Technica, Daring Fireball
- Resetting the iPhone 7 now requires you to hold down different buttons
- Tweet from Jeff Atwood showing some GeekBench results for the new iPhone
- The Case of the Headphone Hijack – Wooji Juice
- Joel Spolsky teaches you how to use Excel – YouTube
- Martin Skreli teaches you how to use Excel faster – YouTube
- Brent Simmons announces Vesper is shutting down
- Overcast trying ads, dark theme now free – Marco Arment
- Evolving App Store Business Models – David Smith
What’s making us happy?
- Thomas: OpenStreetMap
- Dave: repl.it
- Baz: Limerick iOS Developer meetup